Thursday, April 16, 2009

Hohhot in Inner Mongolia

We arrived in Hohhot yesterday, and have had an incredible time so far. This is the city that has the arts college that comes to Leland and Gray to perform, and the people here have been SO friendly and welcoming.

Today we visited two schools that focus on Mongolian culture. The Mongolians are now a minority in Inner Mongolia, and many families want their children to know that culture and language in addition to Chinese. One school was just for children ages 3-6, and the second school was grades 1-6. In the second school, I got to go to an art class and make traditional-style headpieces! The children were so excited to have visitors that they all gave me their hats - I'll bring a few home to show you :)
We have a picture somewhere of all of us teachers wearing the harts that the children made - very stylish!





Sweet potato vendor in the street: the barrel is for baking the sweet potatoes, and then he rides around to sell them:



On the dinner table last night:



I hope that you all are having a great week - have fun over break (don't forget everything that you learned!) and I'll see you when we get back...I'll try to post a few more photos next week, so check from home if you can :)

Say hi to Mr. Redfield, Ms. Starr, and Mr. Towle for me!
MsM

No comments: